Sunday, October 14, 2012

Swinging versus Polyamory...What's the Difference (Part I)


----This post was originally posted on Oct. 4, 2012...on a competitive website----

What’s the difference between “swinging” and polyamory…well let me begin at MY beginning…

About 13 years ago, I found myself deep in the lifestyle of a swinger. My husband (now ex-) and I lived in the Sunshine State where the weather was hot and the people were even hotter! There was plenty of bare skin and sunshine to be seen by all…

Since I love to dance, clubs were the venues for meeting new couples and if you know Florida, there are swingers’ clubs EVERYWHERE…beginning near Interstate 4 that is…

In the swingers’ lifestyle, you MAY meet a couple for intimate fun once or twice…it was a flexible adventure at best. Most people, including myself, were into it for the fun and good times…with little care about relationships outside of primary ones (i.e. husband, wife, boyfriend, etc.)

Well, as I skip ahead 13 years and one monogamous relationship later, I found that the swingers’ lifestyle was alive and well in Atlanta. There were websites that encouraged it and just as many clubs where you could have on-site fun with other like-minded sexual beings. In my mind, going back to swinging was not my real choice, but compared to a solo monogamous relationship that needed a serious jump start, it seemed to be the only choice…outside of straight cheating.

Searching through ads for swingers was like searching through a meat-market…everyone wanted to show you what you were missing out on…which usually included naked females and/or their various body parts…breasts for days…ironically, not too many male anatomy could be found …ummmm…interesting observation!?It appeared that all everyone wanted was sex, sex and more sex…where was I to begin my search for friendship and intimacy? (This is a big difference between swinging and polyamory…sex only versus intimacy with sex and friendship.)

On one site, there was a calendar where you could check out ”dates” for the night…a few were only stopping over in Atlanta for fun, as they passed through town… others wanted to meet on a regular basis at a local club to have fun in the flesh with a couple (times 30) of their closest “friends”. Not really turned on by the club scene any longer (except for dancing)…I decided to read deeper into the written desires of couples …so I got busy searching for faces, eyes and thoughts that caught my attention…

Polyamorously Yours,
 
Atlanta PolyNewbie

No comments:

Post a Comment